Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Has anyone noticed a HUGE loss of quality in motor oil?

Recently I just rebuilt the motor in my toyota and used pennzoil in it. The motor now has 20 miles on it and I went to adjust the valves and noticed that the oil now has the consistency of water and when rubbed between my fingers does NOT lubricate as I can feel friction between my fingers. I had a similar experience a few months back with Mobil Clean 5000 after about 500 miles on our intrepid the oil pressure light kept coming on and you could hear a slight knock at idle speeds, I throught it was either main/rod bearings so I was going to pull the pan and check it out, when I drained the oil I noticed that it had lost all consistency and flowed out of the pan like water splashing everywhere and making a huge mess. I Still have had good luck with Castrol and Valvoline but was wondering if anyone else has had this problem and WHAT oil have you had this problem with. With the soaring costs of oil I feel the companies are putting out extremely bad quality to help with their profits.Has anyone noticed a HUGE loss of quality in motor oil?
what you are experiencing is in multi viscosity oil ten thirty t 10w50 there is a polimer.. this is a chemical that thickens liquids when heated... i urge every one not to use this oil no matter who sells it.. use a straight thirty weight in the winter and a straight fourty in the summer... i have a aircraft and could get killed with engine failure.. i use sixty weight oil in the summer and fourty in the winter.. ok the polimer fails often then you have water..Has anyone noticed a HUGE loss of quality in motor oil?
The government put restrictions on the additives that automotive grade oil can have in it. The additives supposedly would burn and release sulfer content into the air but they were anti-wear additives that they restricted. The restrictions aren't there with diesel grade motor oils. The shop that machined my last rebuild swears by diesel grade motor oils being run in regular cars because they still have these anti wear additives in them. That could be the quicker loss of viscosity that you're talking about.
yes....i have noticed that the oil seems much thinner and of much poorer quality. i cant think of one thing that i haven't noticed a huge loss of quality in, over the years....especially customer service.

No comments:

Post a Comment